About the Joint Inspection Unit
The Joint Inspection Unit is the only independent external oversight body of the United Nations system mandated to conduct evaluations, inspections and investigations system-wide.
Its mandate is to look at cross-cutting issues and to act as an agent for change across the United Nations system. JIU works to secure management and administrative efficiency and to promote greater coordination both between UN agencies and with other internal and external oversight bodies. For the past 50 years, the Unit has been dedicated to assisting the legislative bodies of numerous United Nations organizations and agencies in meeting their governance responsibilities. JIU provides support in the context of these agencies’ oversight function regarding human, financial and other resources. In its reports and notes, JIU identifies best practices, proposes benchmarks and facilitates information-sharing throughout all the organizations of the UN system that have adopted its Statute.
Our Mission Statement
(a) To assist the legislative organs of the participating organizations in meeting their governance responsibilities in respect of their oversight function concerning management of human, financial and other resources by the secretariats;
(b) To help improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the respective secretariats in achieving the legislative mandates and the mission objectives established for the organizations;
(c) To promote greater coordination between the organizations of the United Nations system;
(d) To identify best practices, propose benchmarks and facilitate information-sharing throughout the system.”
JIU has a unique mandate and opportunity to look at cross-cutting issues, and be an agent for change across the system, to secure administrative efficiency and achieve greater co-ordination between organizations. According to JIUs mission, the work of the Inspectors may consist of:
• Improving efficiency and increasing productivity;
• Conducting risk management analyses;
• Selecting and reporting on key issues and risk areas in individual organizations and across the United Nations system;
• Examining opportunities for programme delivery improvement;
• Increasing coordination and harmonization among organizations;
• Benchmarking and facilitating information- sharing;
• Identifying specific and cross-organizational issues where JIU involvement adds value;
• Monitoring the implementation of recommendations;
• Assisting agencies in simplifying their rules and procedures to improve management and administration;
• Assessing and advising organizations on their internal oversight mechanisms.